Finally, schools started, and kids are happy meeting with their friends and teachers, their community. House is in silence. I am enjoying this silence today with a cup of tea and a book. All is well.
These days are the time of autumn equinox (even though it is said that 22nd and 23rd of September, it is a period more than specific days).
I will talk about the importance of autumn equinox, how they are celebrated all around the world, and how you can celebrate.
Importance of the autumn equinox
- Equinox is the time when the day and nighttime are equal. It is symbolically showing the balance and harmony between the opposites and of course the season change.
- The Autumn equinox is an invitation to slow down and listen in silence. By feeling the change in the weather, slowly bring your attention and the power of your focus from outside to inside.
- It has been celebrated through the history of humanity as a celebration of the second harvest. It is a time to celebrate, giving thanks, and feel gratitude.
- It is a time of closing a circle, cleaning, and preparation of a new.
How autumn equinox is celebrated all around the world?
Neopagans are celebrating it as Mabon, for Christians it is Michaelmas, also known as the Feast of Michael and All Angels. In Japan, the celebrations are called Higan, time to feel the ancestors who passed away.
In China and Vietnam, it is Harvest Moon Fest and in India, the fest is called Navaratri and the festival honors the divine feminine Devi (Durga).
All around the world, despite different names, this special time of the year is the time of the gatherings of the families, giving thanks, celebrating by eating special food and reflecting.
“In Ancient Greek mythology, the onset of fall is closely linked to the story of the abduction of Persephone, also called Kore or Cora.
She was a goddess who was abducted from her mother, harvest goddess Demeter and taken to the underworld to become the wife of Hades, the god-king of the underworld.
After a period of mourning and struggle, Demeter eventually got her daughter back from Hades, but only for nine months of the year. Every fall, Persephone would return to the underworld to spend three months with Hades.
During these months, Demeter refused to use her divine skills to make plants grow, explaining why we have three months of winter every year.”
Life is a circle. It has its ups and downs. Lights and darks. Being aware of it can make us ready to respond instead of reacting so that we can embrace life fully.
How you can celebrate the autumn equinox?
The inside and outside worlds are not separated and maybe our intentions are the link between them. The intention of a ritual is what connects consciousness and unconsciousness.
Rituals are important because as you act in this seen world, you show your intention in the unseen world of unconsciousness that makes it possible a whole conversation between your whole self.
1. As it is harvest time, it is a great opportunity to look back at personal achievements. Look to your harvest. Consider the last 12 months, last 6 months, or the last 3 months.
2. Look at your harvest and feel it and give thanks. Give thanks to yourself, to those who supported you and to life.
Appreciation circle is a great way to give thanks in a family or friends for this occasion:
– Come together in a circle.
– Invite silence via 3 deep breaths.
– Consider your harvest of 12 months, 6 months, 3 months and give thanks to yourself first and then to the other persons in the circle.
– 1 person speaks each time. Be slow and silent. Make space for the person to receive appreciation.
*** Another version of it could be, when it is the turn of a person, the others are appreciating this one person. Each time participants of the circle are appreciating 1 person one by one.
3. Consider what you want to finalize, clean your home both physically and energetically.
4. Think about what you want to achieve in the upcoming 3 months. Create your intentions and prayers. You can ask your self what I want to do, to have, and to be in these upcoming months. You can write them down.
5. Continue to visualize them in your daily meditations and feel the joy of already accomplishing them.
Doing it full-heartedly is the most important thing. So hold a space for you and your loved ones these days. Even it is eating a meal altogether, invite the presence of everybody, and convert your meal to a celebration of the equinox.
What about you? What is your plan for this autumn equinox? Let me know in the comments.